Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Fermentation, Jerusalem Artichokes and Books (oh, my!)

http://www.pickl-it.com/

Ever tried to make your own sauerkraut? How about fermented turnips? -- No? Well, then you likely haven't tried Lacto-Fermented Jerusalem Artichokes. According to the author of 5 Acres and a Dream Blog, they're the best.

In addition to her recipe, she turned me onto a new (and useful!) book., Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning.

So grows my Amazon wish list...

 

~ ~ ~



German Sauerkraut Making - Authentic Method

In Germany it is called Sauerkraut and in Alsace France Choucroute.

In this video I show how I make my Sauerkraut at home with simple tools. In this 1 gallon crock pot I use about 2.5 medium sized cabbage heads. Make sure that the Sauerkraut is stamped down well so that liquid comes to the top. Allow the salt to draw out the liquid and stamp hard.

I let the Sauerkraut ferment at room temperature for 6 - 8 weeks. Sampling the sauerkraut to observe changes are instructive. Sauerkraut is often eaten fermented but uncooked in order to get the most benefits from the probiotics in the kraut.

If you like this video please select "Like" and subscribe to my channel.

I appreciate comments and questions. Thanks

Lets stay connected.
http://www.youtube.com/WoodlandGardener

0 comments: