Friday, August 2, 2013

Hack the Planet!


Long time readers will recall me ranting about how all the SCADA computers that control the power grid, oil drilling, chemical plants, etc are swiss cheese from a security perspective.  Well, I went to a nifty demo yesterday where they showed a hack (against a system they brought to the show, not against anyone live) where they (a) made a valve open to 100% to fill a tank, (b) made the SCADA operator's console show that the water level in the tank was decreasing, and (c) uploaded executable code of their choice to the SCADA system.  Mad lulz when they showed that the executable code was solitaire, and the operator's console was a touch screen.  Good times, good times.

Yeah, we're totally screwed.

Read More on SCADA systems from Borepatch  http://borepatch.blogspot.com/search?q=scada

###



"Remember, hacking is more than just a crime. It's a survival trait." -- Blade

 "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all."  
-- The Hackers' Manifesto

0 comments: