Wednesday, June 5, 2013

In Italy, Austerity Is Served on Homemade Bread

In the land that invented La Cucina Povera --literally, the poor man's kitchen --it's no surprise to witness an increase in home baking.

Figures recently released by Coldiretti, the association of Italian farmers, are staggering. Italians are buying record amounts of flour, eggs, and butter -the highest since World War II.

A third of Italians are using these ingredients to make more pizza, and 19 percent are baking more bread at home.

http://m.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/05/in-italy-austerity-is-served-on-homemade-bread/275951/

###

I LOVE homemade bread!

If I had a working electric stove (now that I have the electricity back on), I'd make bread every week. Sigh. I'm still cooking outdoors every day on a propane Coleman stove.

Perhaps with a few more reader donations...

###

A big THANK YOU to reader FM for his generous support. Your donation helped to pay my water bill, sir. Yea! Water for another month.

;)

- c

0 comments: