Saturday, May 11, 2013

HUGE Fireball Over England and Wales 8-May-2013

EarthSky Facebook friend Karen Maltman said:

Hi guys, I'm a little shaky right now.

Okay. I'm out stargazing (Dorset UK) also on the phone to my mother who lives appox 4 miles away.

Suddenly something catches my eye from the left.

I have never witnessed anything like it in my life.

It was a huge, and I mean HUGE, fireball glowing orange at the front and a massive long bright white trail behind it tappering to a point.

I hear a shhhhhhhh and even smelt a very slight burning smell.

It appeared the height a small aircraft would fly and appeared to be coming down rather than going horizonally.

It went straight past me.

OMG OMG OMG I was saying on the phone to mum …

When I finally spat the words out of what I was seeing, she ran out the back door of her home (3 miles away.)

I said its gone and with that she saw a flash of brillant white light fill the sky and then darkness!

I'm not joking, it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck as it was so big.

What have I just witnessed?

http://earthsky.org/space/large-fireball-seen-may-8-2013-over-england-and-wales#.UY5qgxNq3uu

0 comments: