Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Man Godfrey

Click photo to watch film.

Happy Thanksgiving, dear readers. If your holidays require classic cinema viewing, please enjoy one of my favorite films from 1936 -- sure to evoke a sense of gratitude. - c

My Man Godfrey

Directed by Gregory La Cava. With William Powell, Carole Lombard, Alice Brady.

In the depths of the Depression, a party game brings dizzy socialite Irene Bullock to the city dump where she meets Godfrey, a derelict, and ends by hiring him as family butler. He finds the Bullocks to be the epitome of idle rich, and nutty as the proverbial fruitcake. Soon, the dramatizing Irene is in love with her 'protege'...who feels strongly that a romance between servant and employer is out of place, regardless of that servant's mysterious past...

Source

1 comments:

John Kubicek said...

You know, -C-, this will be forever my favorite movie, of all time! I finally got to watch it all the way through tonight/this morning. Wow.

If they were ever to going to make a remake of this film, you know that Irene would have to be played by Drew Barrymore! Who would play Godfrey, though? And Cornelia? Would not this film be a perfect candidate for a remake? Or, would it be even possible to recapture the wonderful way this one could have been made in 1936?

Godfrey really did remind me of myself. There were some great lessons in this film. We really could be who we want to be. Oh, by the way, does anyone need a butler? Or, wait, I'm a security guard... Anyone need a body guard?