Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Army National Guard: Always Ready?

The motto of the U.S. Army National Guard is "Always Ready - Always There" but, are they really ready?

A Feb. 14, 2008 report by the Government Accountability Office on current operations readiness suggests otherwise.

Equipment Shortages Affect Availability of Items for Nondeployed Units

The GAO report cites, "As we have reported, ongoing military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan combined with harsh combat and environmental conditions are inflicting heavy wear and tear on equipment items that, in some cases, are more than 20 years old.

In response to the sustained operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Army and Marine Corps developed programs to reset (repair or replace) equipment to return damaged equipment to combat-ready status for current and future operations.

We also have reported that while the Army and Marine Corps continue to meet mission requirements and report high readiness rates for deployed units, nondeployed units have reported a decrease in reported readiness rates, in part due to equipment shortages.

Some units preparing for deployment have reported shortages of equipment on hand as well as specific equipment item shortfalls that affect their ability to carry out their missions.

The Army Chief of Staff has testified that the Army has had to take equipment from nondeployed units in order to provide it to deployed units.

The Marine Corps has also made trade-offs between preparing units to deploy to Iraq and Afghanistan and other unit training.

In addition, the Army National Guard and Army Reserve have transferred large quantities of equipment to deploying units, which has contributed to equipment shortages in nondeployed units.

As a result, state officials have expressed concerns about their National Guard’s equipment that would be used for domestic requirements."

106th Aviation Illinois Army National Guard

Just three months after the GAO report, on May 21, 2008, the American Forces Press Service reports a different story.

“Today, the Department of Defense -- active, reserve and National Guard -- is better prepared to assist civil authorities than at any other time in our nation's history,” said Paul McHale, assistant secretary of defense for homeland defense and Americas’ security affairs.

“Our men and women in military uniform are well prepared to provide substantial life-saving assistance to FEMA,” McHale said. “And with a sense of urgency, we will do so if called upon during the 2008 hurricane season.”

Who's right? Let's hope it won't take a hurricane or worse to find out.

Sources: Testimony Before the Armed Services Committee House of Representatives United States Government Accountability Office, MILITARY READINESS, Impact of Current Operations and Actions Needed to Rebuild Readiness of U.S. Ground Forces - PDF (02/14/2008)

Military Better Prepared Than Ever for Disaster Relief, Official Says (5/28/2008)

2 comments:

DD877 said...

My Dad was in the 41st Infantry Brigade "Oregon" From the beginning of WWII. They were trained and qualified in Jungle Warfare and spent the entire war in the Pacific Theater.
My Dad said that they were under trained and under equipped at first but by the end of the war did OK.

clara bartlett said...

Hi everyone!!!

I'm so excited share this testimony here about how i got my ex husband back after a break up. I'm Clara 28 yr old from Califonia USA, Am a woman who love and cherish my husband more than any other thing you can imagine on earth continent. My husband was so lovely and caring after 3years of marriage he was seriously ill and the doctor confirm and said he has a kidney infection that he needed a kidney donor, that was how I start searching for who can help, doctor has given me a periodic hour that he will live just 25hours left, that was how I ask the doctor if I can be of help to my husband that was how he carried out the text, the confirming was successful, I was now having this taught that since 3 years now we got married I have not be able to get pregnant can I be able to get bring again? That was the question I ask the doctor, he never answer his response was did you want to lost your husband? I immediately reply no I can't afford to lose him. After the operation my husband came back to live and was healthy I was also ok with the instruction given to me by the doctor, after 3months my husband came home with another lady telling me, that is our new wife that will give us kids and takecare of us, that was how I was confused and started crying all day, that was how my husband ran away with his new wife clearable. Since then I was confuse don't know what to do that was how I went back to the doctor and tell him everything, he told me that, this is not just an ordinary it must be a spiritual problem that was how he gave me this Email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com that I should tell he all my problem that he can help that was how i contacted he and I do as instructed. After 28hours and I have done what he ask me to do, my husband start searching for me and went back to the doctor, that was how we well settle he also told me not to worry that I will get pregnant, this month making it the fifth Month I contacted he am now 3months pregnant. These great spell cater is a great man, if you have any kind of problem you can contact him here on his email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or call him +2348160153829