Friday, May 23, 2008

3 Really Good Reasons for Learning to Speak German

#3. It makes it fun to watch your favorite DVDs in German.

This scene auf Deutsch (in German) from Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me is funny in any language.


#2. The Food.

Too artery-clogging, you say? Here's some good advice from the Joker (yes, the one from Batman): "If you gotta go... go with a smile."

German food is hardy, savory, pickled, warm and always accompanied by a starch and some sort of fabulous gravy or sauce. Let's not forget the amazing desserts: Apflestrudel, Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (black forest cake - pictured below,) cheesecakes, hazelnut cakes and tortes of all kinds.

O.K., you don't need to speak German to enjoy German food, but it sure helps when ordering.

Note: Many restaurants will have an English menu so feel free to ask for "eine Englisches carte, bitte."


And the best reason to learn to speak German?


#1. The Beer.

German beer is highly diverse and an important part of Germany's culture. There are around 1,300 breweries in Germany, more than in any other country except the United States which has 1,500.

Especially during Oktoberfest, (a sixteen-day festival held during late September and running to early October,) it is important to know a few beer drinking songs. Here's one of my favorites:

Mein Hut, der hat drei Ecken

Mein Hut, der hat drei Ecken,
Drei Ecken hat mein Hut,
Und hätt er nicht drei Ecken,
So wär es nicht mein Hut.

~

My Hat Has Three Corners

My hat has three corners,
Three corners has my hat,
Had it not three corners,
It wouldn't be my hat.

(It's beer drinking music -- it doesn't have to be good.)

Remember if you are with a German that it is impolite not to raise your glass and say "Prost" before you take a sip.

(the beer, continued)

(and for you ladies... I sure hope he's old enough to drink)

(So, he's no Arnold Schwarzenegger, but he isn't German anyway.)

A note of advice: If you plan to impress a German with your newly acquired language skills, make sure you can speak more than just a few cute phrases. Unlike with the Japanese, just a little doesn't go a long way.

If you enjoyed this article, you might also like (from the same series):

3 Really Good Reasons for Learning to Speak Japanese

Auf wiedersehen!

1 comments:

clara bartlett said...

Hi everyone!!!

I'm so excited share this testimony here about how i got my ex husband back after a break up. I'm Clara 28 yr old from Califonia USA, Am a woman who love and cherish my husband more than any other thing you can imagine on earth continent. My husband was so lovely and caring after 3years of marriage he was seriously ill and the doctor confirm and said he has a kidney infection that he needed a kidney donor, that was how I start searching for who can help, doctor has given me a periodic hour that he will live just 25hours left, that was how I ask the doctor if I can be of help to my husband that was how he carried out the text, the confirming was successful, I was now having this taught that since 3 years now we got married I have not be able to get pregnant can I be able to get bring again? That was the question I ask the doctor, he never answer his response was did you want to lost your husband? I immediately reply no I can't afford to lose him. After the operation my husband came back to live and was healthy I was also ok with the instruction given to me by the doctor, after 3months my husband came home with another lady telling me, that is our new wife that will give us kids and takecare of us, that was how I was confused and started crying all day, that was how my husband ran away with his new wife clearable. Since then I was confuse don't know what to do that was how I went back to the doctor and tell him everything, he told me that, this is not just an ordinary it must be a spiritual problem that was how he gave me this Email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com that I should tell he all my problem that he can help that was how i contacted he and I do as instructed. After 28hours and I have done what he ask me to do, my husband start searching for me and went back to the doctor, that was how we well settle he also told me not to worry that I will get pregnant, this month making it the fifth Month I contacted he am now 3months pregnant. These great spell cater is a great man, if you have any kind of problem you can contact him here on his email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or call him +2348160153829